Monday, April 12, 2010

Sanitize yourself.

I am sure that a number of the people blogging have been to the ARC more than one time in their college career at Slippery Rock. I'm sure everyone uses the various machines that have the bottles of sanitizer on the ends of them. How many of you use them? It is understandable for it to simply slip your mind after doing your last, hard repetition for that last set. But the person who is going to use that machine after your sweat, dead skin and whatever else you may be carrying around with you is on it, won't be so understandable. It got me thinking about this today after using a machine right after another was done. I know he was done and was getting out of my way but why not take the time to clean up your sweaty mess? I sure don't want to sit in it while I work on that machine. The ARC is a place for you to workout. It offers tools to do such a thing as promoting a healthy lifestyle. So why can't people help promote health in such a little way as sanitizing what they just used? I'd rather not catch a cold or sickness while working out.

3 comments:

  1. It was pretty crazy when I had PPF (Personal Physical Fitness) because I saw this all the time. I was always told to clean before you use the machine and after, which seemed to work for me because cleaning before made me remember afterwardsa as well. You would think that people concerned enough to workout would want to make sure they stay healthy enough to clean a seat. Part of the reason I don't like the ARC. It's not as clean as most would think and some of the people there are not too friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people don't sanitize after workouts because they are either lazy, or they really just don't know. This is the case for a lot of new lifters to the ARC. There are some signs that ask you to clean when you are done, but something more proactive should be in place. The worst are the tread mills because this is where most people work out the most and sweat. I don't think it is too rude to simply ask someone to sanitize a machine when they are done. And after asked once, they will probably never forget to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit that it slips my mind sometimes, but I never deliberately avoid it. The ARC, along with most fitness centers, makes it pretty easy to remember though by putting the bottles just about everywhere. You typically see one which ever way you look. Me personally, I personally don't really even mind if the person before forgets to sanitize the machine. But I know that others do, so I always make the effort to do so.

    ReplyDelete